Tuesday, January 30, 2007

My Life in Nyuzen by T. Yamaguchi

Hellow, everyone.

My name is Tetsuo Yamaguchi, and I will soon be 80. I was an English teacher, I retired at age 70. Now I live with my son's family in the country. I have a small vegetable garden around my house. I grow peas, eggplants, tomatoes, green peppers, onions, cucumbers, water melons and pumpkins. I don't use pesticides, because I have a dog. It usually plays in the yard, and I don't want it to eat vegetables polluted with chemicals. I use only organic fertilizer. I don't use insecticide , either. Our family enjoys safe and fresh vegetable. We also have kiwi, persimon, citron and kumquat trees.

Growing vegetables is a constant job. But it gives me a moderate amount of excercise to keep me in shape.

I know we can't stop growing old, but I hate to get senile. So I try to read as many books as possible. Fortunately I have a lot of free time on my hands. I also have lots of books to read. mostly English books. I've forgotten many English words since I retired. Yes, ten years is a long time.

I think I stopped learning when I retired. The proverb "Teaching is learning" has taught me a good lesson. I have found my English is rusty. I know I have to start over. That's why I decided to join this Nyuzen English Class in order to prevent senility as well.



________________________________________

Mr. Yamaguchi doesn't have a computer or email, so I typed this out for him but did not change any of his words or sentences. He can't check the comments or leave comments for others, but if you leave him comments, we will print them out and give them to him.
The pictures are of gardens in Nyuzen that I've taken in the last two years.

5 comments:

reiko said...

私も野菜を栽培しています。キュウリ、ナス、南瓜、薩摩芋にじゃがいもです。昨年はオクラも植えてみましたが、大きくはなりませんでした。野菜は東京の姉に送ります。薩摩芋の茎が喜ばれたりしています。

Steve Herder said...

Dear Mr. Yamaguchi,

Thanks for your lovely story. I really admire you for teaching until you were 70 years old. I'm 43 now and thought that I had about 20 years or so left, but your story made me feel like I could continue longer than that. It's also really cool that you started your English lessons. I'm sure you'll always be 'young at heart'.

mkana said...

It's amazing that you keep healthy life and studying everyday. I think that it's very important for aged people to take part in their society.
I'm looking forward to my retirement and getting a lot of free time.

Kirsten said...

Thanks for writing a blog. I think your story is very interesting and an important one to share with others.

My grandfather has also been very active in his retirement. He has many hobbies like gardening, woodworking, traveling, reading and listening to music. Staying active is the key to a healthy and happy life!!

JP said...

I think it's great that you are using your time for productivity with learning and gardening (In an environmentally friendly manner at that!). Many people can learn a great lesson from your example! Thanks!