Friday, January 19, 2007

Foster Sponsorship by Reiko

Nicaragua is one of poor countries in the world. It is located in the middle of the Americas. There is a high level of unemployment there. Many families are farm laborers on cattle ranches owned by wealthy families. The average family income ranges from 40 to 60 US dollars a month.

I have been a Plan sponsor of a Nicaraguan child named Keyner since 2003. Now my sponsored child is six years old. He is cute and looks smart. He goes to preschool. He lives with his mother, grandmother, two uncles and two aunts. He likes playing with a car and drawing pictures. He is loved by his family and neighbors. He lives in a poor wooden house. We exchange letters with each other. He can not write letters yet, so his mother writes letters to me. I have sent them many photos with my letters. ( I write letters in English and a volunteer translates them into Spanish.)


His family use private latrine within the property for their toilet facilities. The family’s water comes from a domestic connection installed all year round. They use an open fire to cook their daily meals. Collecting firewood is usually the work of women and children and a very time consuming task.. I contribute \3000 to Plan Japan ( the office in Japan as member of Plan international) every month. I heard about Plan international from my friend and was interested in it before. A few years later I found a small article in the news paper that said Plan looks for new sponsors and I decided to become a Plan sponsor.


More than 50,000 sponsors in Japan communicate with sponsored children. 15 donor countries provide 46 developing countries with development. Plan uses our contributions for education, hygiene and attempting to raise the children’s standard of living.


I usually talk about small things with my coworkers but I think I have to have a view of the world. That is important for me. And I am thinking if I could be a volunteer translator for Plan. I wrote a letter to him about my dog a few days ago. I hope he write a letter to me by himself someday.  

2 comments:

Boysters said...

Hello Reiko.
Good blog post!
Mark

Kirsten said...

Thank you for telling us about the volunteer program you donate to. I think it's great that you are involved with an international organization. Maybe it will inspire other people to get involved too!